Thursday, July 12, 2012

Yong Ping High School, World Religions Museum & Dinner Party

Today is the last day of the Eco-Camp at Yong Ping High School.  The students spent the morning working on their presentations.  We assisted our groups in the morning and then were taken to the World Religions Museum which is just a short walk from the high school.  We were very excited to go there since we had first heard about it at the Wu Sheng Buddhist Monetary.  Upon entering the museum you enter by waterfall cascading down the wall, which is followed by Pilgrimage Way which asked thought provoking questions as you make your way to the Golden Lobby.


Pilgrimage Way

Next you enter into the Golden Lobby which depicts heaven and earth and is connected by two golden pillars that represent Love and Peace with the following inscriptions in many languages….


Peace is our eternal hope
I also really enjoyed the Hall of Life’s Journey.  Here is my favorite quote from that hall:


The best part of the Museum is the Great Hall of World Religions which chronicles the history, rituals, beliefs, and sacred buildings of Christianity, Judaism, Ancient Egyptian Religions, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhism, Mayan indigenous religion, Shinto, Taoism and Taiwanese folk beliefs.  Unfortunately, we had to hurry through the museum since we needed to get back for student presentations but we hope to go back next week during our free time.   In our brief time in the Hall of Religions, two items stuck out to me - the Islamic prayer mat with a compass attached so that individuals know what direction to pray in and the god of examinations and literature, Gui Xing in Taiwan.  As I have mentioned before in Taiwan high school students take a university entrance exam, so many 3rd grade (our 12th grade) students pray and provide offerings to Gui Xing for success on the exams.  Kelly and Jim saw many students at the Longshan Temple on Sunday, July 1st praying before their exam on July 2nd. 

Prayer rug with compass

Gui Xing, god of examinations and literature
Upon returning to Yong Ping we provided assistance to our groups on their presentations. I was assigned to Groups 1 & 2.  Both groups were very outgoing and sought out some assistance on their presentations. 


One student in particular asked me for help on her portion of the presentation.  She was presenting on flammable ice – I have never heard of it, but it is a supposed form of renewable energy.  Regardless, the student was very shy and nervous about her presentation in English, but extremely consciousness about her work so I helped her with the wording and pronunciation of several words.  The best part of the day and the entire trip thus far was when she presented and flawlessly delivered her part.  At the end of the camp, we took a picture and she told me she would never forget me.  Trust me; I will never forget her too!  These are the moments when I remember why I became a teacher.  J

Proud teacher and student!

The student presentations were excellent.  One of my groups placed third and I was extremely proud of them!  I think many of the students were selected to participate in the camp, so we really had the cream of the crop.  It would be similar to the four of us selecting the top 10 students from our schools to participate in a camp. I don’t think we are seeing a cross-section of students from the schools, but I am sure we would put forth our best students for a program like this as well or they would self-select to participate in a summer enrichment program. 



Our night ended with a dinner with Yong Ping staff and their PTSA.  We had a great time with our host families, teachers and parents from Yong Ping. 

Me and my host family

Us and members of the PTSA
Unfortunately, my camera battery died out at the end of dinner but Jackie #2 and Kelly got some great additional photos of our dinner. 

I took the MRT home and Jimmy picked me up at the Xindian MRT stop.  As we drove home, I was fascinated by the fact that so many stores and shops were still open at 10pm at night and many people were still walking around the neighborhood.  People definitely go to bed way later here than at home! 

1 comment: