Thursday, July 19, 2012

Din Tai Fung, Meeting with Ministry of Education & Farewell Dinner

Thursday, July 19th


At NTU, we saw some recent graduates taking pictures at the symbolic bell on campus and a couple taking their wedding photos in the middle of Palm Boulevard, the main palm tree street lined street on campus. 


We made reservations at the original Din Tai Fung, a Taiwanese original on Xinyi Road.  The restaurant started out as a cooking oil company but began making dumplings and is a world renowned Asian restaurant.  They have the best dumplings ever!  I am a huge fan of dumplings, so much so that Kelly has nicknamed me, “dumpling.”  I feel like I am turning into one because I eat them so much! Unfortunately, they do not have any restaurants on the east coast, but I will keep my fingers crossed that they open up a location in Washington, D.C.  They would make a killing! 





After lunch, we walked the neighborhood near our hotel and then headed back to get ready for our meeting and farewell dinner.  I also did some packing.  I don’t think I’ll be buying much in China or Seoul – I really don’t have any more room! 

We had a very nice exchange with the officials from the Ministry of Education in which we shared our experiences her in Taiwan.  I can’t believe our time here is done.  The hospitality here has been amazing.  I have never met people more friendly and giving.  Any time I opened my map and took a few minutes to pause, I always had someone come up and ask if I needed help.  If the U.S., we probably wouldn’t trust that person, but everyone here is so kind and caring.  I hope to bring more of the Taiwanese spirit home with me! 

The Ministry of Education gave us all beautiful ceramic mugs inscribed with our names and “2012 New Taipei City International Exchange.”  It is such a thoughtful and gorgeous gift that I will cherish as a memento of my time here. 



After meeting, we had dinner with all of our host schools and families.  It was so wonderful to see everyone. 


I get a little teary eyed thinking of all the amazing people and friends we have met who did so much to make this experience so special for all of us.  I only hope that I can return the favor to them! 

Kelly, Jackie #2, me and Adorable Alice

All of us with the host high school principals

My host family from Lin-Kou - Jennifer & Jocelin
We had planned to go to Maokong, to see the tea plantations and teahouses and views of Taipei at night, but just ran out of steam.  It is off to Shanghai, China tomorrow so a new adventure awaits. 
Today we decided to take it easy and leave our options open for sightseeing or just packing.  A few of us ended up walking through the National Taiwan University (NTU) this morning.  It was extremely hot and humid, so we decided to just pack up, have lunch and prepare for our meeting with officials of the Ministry of Education and the farewell dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment