Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Shihsanshang Museum of Archaeology, the Bali Waterfront, Oxford College & Tam-Kang Senior High School

Last night before going to bed, I stayed up talked with Jocelin, the Cheng’s daughter and a student at Lin-Kou High School.   Jocelin is an extremely engaging teenager who’s English is amazing.  Jocelin is very much like an American teenager – she has a boyfriend, and boyfriend problems which we talked about last night, loves Facebook, and watching American TV shows.  She will be spending next year in France in a student exchange program in Bonneville.  She has a love for history and languages.  I am encouraging her to look into studying at an American university since she has such a diverse background.  She says in Taiwan it is very hard to get into university here because you have to excel in every subject on the university entrance exam. 

Today we met at Lin-Kou High School and then headed to the Shihsanshang Museum of Archaeology.  We learned about the aborigines who inhabited Taiwan and their lifestyle.   The coolest artifact at the museum was the vase with a face.  It was a beautiful piece of pottery that illustrated the creativity and skill of the Shinsanshang aborigines. 


Next we traveled by ferry from the Bali waterfront to the Danshui waterfront.   Everywhere you go there are alleys of food vendors.  As soon as we got off, we had tea, Taiwanese donuts, egg custard tarts and plum juice.  I was full before we even had lunch!  Then our hosts took us to lunch were they served us more food.  We had fried oysters, iron eggs, fried leeks, fish dumpling soup and tofu with noodles.  I couldn’t even finish all my lunch with all the food we had already eaten.  I must admit, I pretty proud of myself.  I am usually not too adventurous in my food choices, but this trip I have tried everything put in front of me.  YOLO!  (For those of you are not in the know, it stands for You Only Live Once.  I didn’t know what it meant either until my students told me.) 

Eating an iron egg
And now a fried oyster!
 After lunch we walked up to Tamsui where missionary Rev. George Mackay of Ontario, Canada (yeah, Canada!) established a Presbyterian Church, hospital and school which would later become Oxford College, but is now called Aletheia University.  It was cool to see that a Canadian had such an impact on North Taiwan.  One of the coolest things I saw today was a quote, “Rather Burn Out Than Rust Out,” by Rev. Dr. George L. Mackay.  I think that is going to be my new motto.  The church established by Rev. Mackay is a famous spot for wedding pictures, evidenced by the fact that we saw at least three couples getting their pictures taken around the church.  In Taiwan, may couples get their wedding photos taken before their actual wedding date.    




The campuses of the original school which is now Tam-Kang High School and Aletheia University are absolutely amazing.  Every day I am dumbfounded by the beauty of their schools.  The open space and tranquility of the natural environment is so comforting and makes you want to spend time at the school.  It was quite hot today (as usual) and Kelly, Jackie #2 and I had some fun with some of our photos.  Kelly and I even acted out a penalty kick and Kelly went for a dunk.  We actually got quite a bit silly with our photos - I think the heat and dehydration got to us. 



One thing I continually notice about many of the Taiwanese people is their dogs.  So many people have their dogs with them all the time – in markets and restaurants and everywhere else.  Almost all are small dogs and many are carried around by the owners.  Today I even saw a dog with shoes!  Seriously?!  I must say it is a little weird to be having dinner and there someone with a dog sitting at the next table.   


They are also very cautious.  There are many signs warning you of danger or to be cautious.  I thought this sign on the escalator summed it up best…

No comments:

Post a Comment