Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Yong Ping High School, Eco-House at National Taiwan University & Longshan Temple

Today we started the first day of the Eco-Camp at Yong Ping High School.  We weren’t really sure what our role was at the camp and apparently the two guest speakers thought we were experts on green architecture and renewable energy.  Originally, it was just me and Jackie #2 at start of the morning because Kelly and Jim’s host, Jackey #3 (yes, there are three Jacki/ie/ey’s – picture of the three of us to be forthcoming) overslept and then his car got towed so they didn’t get to school until 10:30am this morning.  The students will be taken three field trips over the three day camp to various examples of environmentally friendly facilities and learning about how to make Taipei a more sustainable city to live in.  Finally, students will give a presentation on Thursday afternoon on a selected environmental topic.  Today was a lot of lecture for the students (and us too) but on our visit to the Eco-House we were able to take some time to tour the National Taiwan University which is one of the leading universities in Taiwan.  The campus is a very eclectic mix of architecture since it was built in many phases and transformations during Japanese and Chinese rule of the island. 



As we drove to National Taiwan University, I caught an even closer glimpse of Taipei 101.   I still haven’t been there yet, but it is scheduled on our itinerary for Saturday. 


After the Eco-School excursion we came back to Yong-Ping and talked with Principal Lee for awhile. She is an amazing woman and principal.  Jackie #2’s host family offered to take us to the Longshan Temple this evening so Jackie #2, her host family, Jackie #2’s mom, Kelly, and I took the MRT to the Temple.  It was my first trip on the MRT.  Our hosts have been so concerned about us traveling on public transportation which is so kind, but we’ve been telling them that we have metro system in D.C. and that we will be okay so they shouldn’t worry.  I must admit, I have been feeling a little cooped up and was very excited to get out and about this evening. 


The Longshan Temple is a very large place of worship.  There were so many people there and so many offerings left.  I felt really bad going to the temple as a tourist taking pictures while people were praying.  It would be like someone coming into a Sunday church service at home and taking pictures during the sermon, so we walked around briefly and then headed out to go to dinner. 





The Ladies outside the temple at the dragon fountain

The Temple at dusk
I was very anxious about the area since I had read in my tour book that there was a snake alley nearby.  Unfortunately, our hosts didn’t really understand that I did not want to go near there, but thankfully Jackie #2, Kelly, and Jackie #2’s mom made it clear that I was not going near the market and restaurant that had the snakes.  Needless to say, it was not the type of evening I had envisioned but we made it through.  I feel so thankful to have Jackie #2 and Kelly with on this trip.  We really have forged a strong friendship through our time together. 

One thing I have been meaning to mention about Taiwan and I’ve heard China too is the toilets.  Most toilets are not the typically western toilets.  They are porcelain bowls in the ground.  I won’t get too graphic for you, but it is not easy to use the restroom.  Thankfully I have a knack for finding western toilets here.  Oh, and one thing you should know if you ever plan on traveling to Taiwan or China is make sure you always carry tissues or travel toilet paper with you.  Most bathrooms do not have it, nor do they have paper towels or hand-dryers.  Jackie #2 and I get especially excited when we find a restroom with a western toilet, toilet paper, and paper towels to dry your hands.  It really is a luxury here in public restrooms.  However, the MRT bathrooms are extremely nice!  Who would have thought?!

1 comment: