Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Xiufeng High School, Yehliu Geopark & Yilan Hot Springs

Today we began a three-day Social Studies Camp with students from several high schools at Xiufeng High School.  It is an impressive campus.  The senior high schools here in Taiwan look like mini-college campuses.  They are typically five story buildings with dormitories and open-air courtyards, so students walk to and from classes outside.  Xiufeng is very impressive with a huge library and a beautiful auditorium where we started our day.  The first day of our seminar included two lectures where they reviewed geography and geology concepts and the methods and tools of fieldwork.  For example, students reviewed the various types of erosion from wind, sand, and water and the resulting rock formations that we would be seeing at Yehliu Geopark.  Students were then instructed on how to use the compass and GPS to navigate around the park.  The students are in various groups and each of the us were assigned to accompany a group around the park as they studied, measured, and documented the various geological formations at the park.  Some of the students, Jimmy and Jiang especially, were very talkative and excited to practice their English speaking with me and other teachers.  Others were shy and would offer one to two word answers to my questions.  I look forward to continuing to work with them over the next two days.  At Yehliu, we saw mushroom rock, pot holes, fossils, and my favorite, the Queen’s head which looks like Queen Nefertiti from Egypt.  I can’t even tell you how hot it was today.  I used to be adamant that umbrellas were only for rain, but I am a convert now.  My umbrella saved my life today!  I would have melted if it wasn’t for my umbrella.  I will no longer be a naysayer in the power of an umbrella to protect me from powerful UVA rays and provide shade!






I also learned some more interested tidbits about the educational system today.  Many teachers use microphones when giving lectures either in a classroom setting or in an auditorium like we were in today.  Additionally, many students often call their teachers by the first names.  I know Shannon and Leah would like that! ;)  Lastly, I thought this was very interesting – students only get 1 hour a week to participate in clubs since school runs from 8am to 5pm.  We also learned that most schools do not have the extensive offering of school sports like we do.

After the field trip, Alice picked us up and took us to the Yilan hot springs.  Alice is the most gracious person ever.  Alice is the principal at Shuangxi High School and she has taken such great care of us, making sure we are fed, having a great time and doing okay at all times.  We decided to start calling her Adorable Alice, because she is so kind and caring to all of us.  The hot springs were so relaxing after a long day in the sun and on our feet.  I’ll just say this, we did the hot springs like the Taiwanese do the hot springs.  Our day wouldn’t be complete without another delicious meal!  Alice took us to a local restaurant with the most amazing green onion dish, fried spicy squid, fried shrimp, local rice and meat bowl to name just a few.   Of course, I took more pictures of the food.  I’m finding I need to do this, one, because half the time I don’t know the name of what we are eating because our hosts have just taken care of providing us with the best meals possible, and two, I want to remember all of our delicious meals! 

Again, I am exhausted and we have another day of the social studies seminar tomorrow.  Tomorrow we will be going to the National Palace Museum and then Alice is arranging dinner and a karaoke party for us since we will be leaving Shuangxi and heading to our first host family on Friday evening. 

5 comments:

  1. Ms. Ball,

    I was just checking up on your blog, when I saw your mention of the use of microphones. In my Chinese lecture classes, which aren't large at all, our teachers use microphones! I didn't think it was a big deal until one day it stopped working and it made a HUGE difference. It kind of makes the teacher more engaging and easier to listen to. Who knows... use in your classroom?

    Looking forward to the updates!

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I think I might try it! :) It might keep students more awake too! Hope you are doing well. When do you leave on your trip?

      Delete
  2. I wonder how Taiwanese do their hot springs....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Moon,
      If I recall you did your graduate work in Taipei. I think you know what we mean!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful pictures of you all and the beautiful island of Taiwan. Enjoying the blog, Ann Voss

    ReplyDelete