Saturday, August 4, 2012

Flying Home!

Friday, August 3rd

First off, if you are still reading, THANK YOU!!! It has been a great experience documenting this trip for family, friends, colleagues, and students.  I have plenty more stories and memories to share with each of you. 

This trip has been amazing!  I am sitting here on the plane right now flying across the International Date Line with a little over 7 hours of the flight to go.  I was hoping to sleep some more in an attempt to get back on Eastern Standard Time but I have a feeling it’s going to take me awhile. Since I can’t sleep, I figured now is a good time as any to give you some final thoughts on this experience and trip. 

The experience of learning with and from Taiwanese teachers and students is an experience I truly cherish.  I made so many wonderful friends in Taiwan.  Thank goodness for Facebook so we can keep in touch!  Andre (Claudia’s husband) asked us each the other night what each of our positives and negatives where of this trip.  There are so many positives, so here the ones that come to mind first - 1. The hospitality of the Taiwanese people (I have never met kinder people on earth), 2.  The food, 3. The friends I’ve made along the way, 4. The opportunity to immerse myself in a culture and a country.  I have traveled to other countries and met people but to be able to spend four weeks in a country and learn so much from the people and experience so much of their culture was unforgettable.  Another positive, was seeing so many historical and cultural sites in Taiwan, China and Seoul.  I will never forget the hot springs with Alice, sky lanterns in Pingxi, the Wu Sheng Monastery, frying in the hot sun at Yehliu Geopark, my host families in Taiwan, the Great Wall, Tiananmen Square, Mao’s mausoleum, the Terracotta Warriors, and the overall atmosphere of Seoul.   I am sure I am missing some that I can’t even remember now!  Honestly, I can’t think of any negatives.  I always try to take a negative experience and turn it into a positive learning experience.  Besides, I am so thankful for this opportunity.  Who else gets to spend their summer traveling around Asia?! 

I have become very adept at using chopsticks over the past six weeks and it’s going to be weird to transition back into a fork and knife.  I will say though that I will be happy to have a hiatus from rice for some time.  I have never eaten so much rice in my life!  I look forward to scoping out the best Taiwanese, Chinese and Korean restaurants in the Washington, D.C. area though.  I am proud of myself for trying so many new foods.  I don’t really consider myself adventurous when it comes to food, but I think I really challenged myself by trying so many different foods.  I think the key is not asking too many questions.  Eat first, and then ask later otherwise you probably wouldn’t try it!   

Every country we went to was so unique and you could really see differences within the cultures and social norms among Taiwan, China and Seoul.  Traveling really opens up your eyes and makes you more understanding of our world and the cultures around us.  I feel privileged for having the opportunity to participate in the teacher exchange and then to travel afterwards.  I am very excited to share my experiences and observations with family, friends and my students.  I have a new travel goal – travel to all the countries I teach in AP Comparative Government.  I think Russia is next!  Who’s with me?! 

Again, thank you for reading! 

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back. Let's get together sometime with the other teachers.

    ReplyDelete